Page 1 of 1
67C.107 Employees of city and county to become employees of consolidated local
government -- Rights, privileges, and protections of employees -- Bargaining units and labor contracts -- Continuation of benefits of police and firefighters' pension funds.
(1) Upon public approval at a regular or special election of a consolidation of a city of
the first class and its county, all regular employees of the city of the first class and the county shall become employees of the consolidated local government.
(2) All rights, privileges, and protections attributed to all regular employees by a civil
service or classified service system established by a city of the first class or a county containing a city of the first class shall continue in effect until changed by statute or ordinance when applicable.
(3) A consolidated local government shall recognize and shall continue to bargain with
any bargaining unit consisting of public employees recognized by either the previously existing city or county government.
(4) All labor contracts under renegotiation or in existence in a city of the first class or a
county containing a city of the first class on the effective date of a local government consolidation shall, if being renegotiated, continue to be renegotiated by the consolidated local government, and if in existence, continue in effect until the expiration of the terms of the contracts at which time new contracts shall be renegotiated between the consolidated local government and affected labor representatives.
(5) Upon the establishment of a consolidated local government, all rights, privileges,
and protections of beneficiaries of a policemen's retirement fund and a firefighter's pension fund in a city of the first class shall continue in effect until all benefits due each beneficiary have been paid.
Effective: July 15, 2002 History: Amended 2002 Ky. Acts ch. 346, sec. 56, effective July 15, 2002. -- Created
2000 Ky. Acts ch. 189, sec. 4, effective July 14, 2000.