MICHIGAN STATUTES AND CODES
Act 279 of 1909 - THE HOME RULE CITY ACT (117.1 - 117.38)
- Section 117.1 - Body corporate.
- Section 117.1a - Short title.
- Section 117.1b - Emergency financial manager; authority and responsibilities.
- Section 117.2 - Saving clause.
- Section 117.3 - Mandatory charter provisions.
- Section 117.3a - Abolishment of at-large city council; election of members from single-member election districts; ballot question; approval; determination of city council president; adoption of apport
- Section 117.3b - Terms of office; staggered terms; resolution; initial terms; applicability of subsection (1).
- Section 117.4 - Conduct of racing event under MCL 257.1701 et seq.; powers and duties.
- Section 117.4a - Borrowing money and issuing bonds; net indebtedness; limitation; computation; borrowing in case of fire, flood, or other calamity; incurring obligation for construction, renovation, o
- Section 117.4b - Refunds; bonds; sewers; waterworks; lighting; permissible charter provisions.
- Section 117.4c - Permissible charter provisions.
- Section 117.4d - Permissible charter provisions; assessing costs of public improvement and boulevard lighting system; definitions.
- Section 117.4e - Public property; condemnation of private property; permissible charter provisions.
- Section 117.4f - Permissible city charter provisions.
- Section 117.4g - Rapid transit system; permissible charter provisions.
- Section 117.4h - Public ways; permissible charter provisions.
- Section 117.4i - Permissible charter provisions.
- Section 117.4j - City departments; special acts; municipal powers; permissible charter provisions.
- Section 117.4k - Civic, artistic, and cultural activities; public funds.
- Section 117.4m - Ordinance regulating recreational trailway; posting; violation as municipal civil infraction; penalty.
- Section 117.4n - Medical facility for public purpose; establishment, operation, or maintenance by private nonprofit corporation.
- Section 117.4o - Formation of nonprofit corporation by city.
- Section 117.4q - Administrative hearings bureau; establishment; administrative hearings; procedures.
- Section 117.4r - Nonpayment of civil fine or costs or installment payment by defendant; lien; recording; enforcement; priority; collection of judgment; duration of lien; default.
- Section 117.5 - Prohibited powers.
- Section 117.5a - Membership in certain societies not to affect employment.
- Section 117.5b - Code of municipal ordinances; publication.
- Section 117.5c - Local officers compensation commission; creation; purpose; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; vacancies; determination of salaries; expenses; meetings; quorum; concurr
- Section 117.5d - Locomotives; enforceability of ordinance prescribing maximum speed limit.
- Section 117.5e - Municipal water or sewage system; annual audit; public hearing before proposed rate increase.
- Section 117.5f - Energy conservation improvements; resolution; payment; scope of improvements; acquisition of improvements by contracts or notes; reports; forms.
- Section 117.5g - Flood control project.
- Section 117.5h - Regulation or prohibition of public nudity; “public nudity” defined.
- Section 117.5i - Snow removal from streets, mosquito abatement, and security services provided by private contractors; special assessment.
- Section 117.5j - Sewer separation; authorization; ordinance; special assessment.
- Section 117.6 - Incorporation, consolidation, or alteration of boundaries; petition; signatures; deposit; enumeration.
- Section 117.7 - Incorporation, consolidation or alteration of boundaries; fifth class cities; population requisites; representation on board of supervisors.
- Section 117.8 - Incorporation, consolidation, or alteration of boundaries; petition; filing; resolution; adoption.
- Section 117.8a - Incorporation, consolidation or alteration of boundaries; filing substitute petition; action by supervisors.
- Section 117.9 - Incorporation, consolidation, or change of boundaries; governing law; affected district; petition or resolution for annexation; voting; duties of commission.
- Section 117.9a - Annexation of township remnant territory to home rule city; procedure.
- Section 117.9b - Detachment of territory from city; conditions; intergovernmental agreement imposing conditions on detachment; reannexation to detaching city; detached territory not subject to annexat
- Section 117.9c - Repealed. 1986, Act 64, Eff. July 1, 1986.
- Section 117.10 - Certified copies of petition and resolution; transmittal; election notices.
- Section 117.11 - Petition for incorporation, consolidation, or change of boundaries; affidavit; filing with secretary of state; certification; notice; election.
- Section 117.12 - Election returns; canvass; village clerk, duties.
- Section 117.13 - Effective date of incorporation, consolidation, attachment or detachment; certificate of board of county canvassers; representation, transfer of property, governmental function.
- Section 117.14 - Incorporation or annexation.
- Section 117.14a - Petition for vacating incorporation; initiation; election; certification; assets, disbursement; debts and obligations.
- Section 117.14b - Relocation of common boundaries.
- Section 117.15 - Election on question of intent to incorporate or consolidate; electors as members of charter commission; notice; preparation, form, and contents of ballot; expenses; procedure; canvas
- Section 117.15a - Incorporation; expenses of charter commission; payment.
- Section 117.16 - Incorporation; rejection of charter; de facto mayor; duties; resubmission of charter, procedure; effect of nonadoption within 3 years of election to incorporate.
- Section 117.17 - Incorporation; new charter commission, petition, procedure, eligibility, duties, expenses; control of territory pending adoption; date of incorporation; voting franchise.
- Section 117.18 - Incorporation; revision of charter, procedure, commission, advisory vote; incorporation of provision in original charter granted by legislature.
- Section 117.19 - Charter; duty of legislative body.
- Section 117.20 - Charter commission; first meeting; duties of city clerk; powers and duties of commission; roll call; vacancy; compensation; quorum; public sessions.
- Section 117.21 - Charter amendment; procedure.
- Section 117.22 - Charter amendment; submission to governor, approval; re-consideration.
- Section 117.23 - Publication of proposed charter and amendments; submission of charter and separate propositions to electors; adoption; ballot.
- Section 117.24 - Charters or amendments; filing; effective date.
- Section 117.25 - Initiatory petition; filing with city clerk; contents; verification; signatures and inscriptions; perjury and other felonies; punishment; canvass; certifying sufficiency or insufficie
- Section 117.25a - Violation of MCL 168.1 to 168.992 applicable to petitions; penalties.
- Section 117.26 - Elections; general provisions; applicability of MCL 168.641.
- Section 117.27 - Repealed. 1966, Act 261, Eff. Mar. 10, 1967.
- Section 117.27a - Apportionment of wards; definitions.
- Section 117.27b - Board of review; appointment of members, functions.
- Section 117.28 - Charter change; laws in force; justice and police courts, justices, charter provisions, ordinances.
- Section 117.28a - Municipal courts in cities in certain counties; civil jurisdiction.
- Section 117.28b - Municipal courts in cities in certain counties; attorney fees based on amount of judgment.
- Section 117.29 - Recovery and enforcement of fines, penalties, and forfeitures; violations; administrative hearings.
- Section 117.30 - Appeal to circuit court; recognizance or bond.
- Section 117.31 - Disposition of fines.
- Section 117.32 - Constables; election or appointment; powers and duties; salary; fees; provisions inapplicable to certain cities; compliance with minimum employment standards.
- Section 117.33 - Constables; election, qualification, and compensation.
- Section 117.34 - Police officers; powers.
- Section 117.34a - Police officer or constable; authority to execute bench warrant.
- Section 117.35 - Acquisition of property; condemnation or purchase proceedings.
- Section 117.35a - General obligation bonds; issuance; conditions.
- Section 117.36 - Charter provisions; conflict.
- Section 117.36a - Financial recovery bonds; amounts; terms and conditions; net indebtedness of city; limitation; bonds not subject to MCL 141.2101 to 141.2821.
- Section 117.37 - Saving clause.
- Section 117.38 - Construction of act.
Michigan Forms by Issue
Michigan Court Forms
Michigan State Laws
Michigan Labor Laws
> Michigan Counties
> Michigan Zip Codes
Michigan Court Map