289.29 Determination of feasibility.
(1) Criteria for determination of feasibility; environmental impact.
(a) A determination of feasibility shall be based only on this chapter and ch. 291 and rules promulgated under those chapters. A determination of feasibility for a facility for the disposal of metallic mining waste shall be based only on this chapter and ch. 291 and rules promulgated under those chapters with special consideration given to s. 289.05 (2) and rules promulgated under that section.
(b) If there is a negotiated agreement or an arbitration award prior to issuance of the determination of feasibility, the final determination of feasibility may not include any item which is less stringent than a corresponding item in the negotiated agreement or arbitration award.
(c) The department may receive into evidence at a hearing conducted under s. 289.26 or 289.27 any environmental impact assessment or environmental impact statement for the facility prepared under s. 1.11 and any environmental impact report prepared under s. 23.11 (5). The adequacy of the environmental impact assessment, environmental impact statement or environmental impact report is not subject to challenge at that hearing.
(d) The department may not approve a feasibility report for a solid or hazardous waste disposal facility unless the design capacity of that facility does not exceed the expected waste to be disposed of at that facility within 15 years after that facility begins operation. The department may not approve a feasibility report for a solid or hazardous waste disposal facility unless the design capacity of that facility exceeds the expected waste to be disposed of at that facility within 10 years after that facility begins operation except that this condition does not apply to the expansion of an existing facility.
(2) Maximum number of facilities.
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), the department may not issue a favorable determination of feasibility for a solid waste disposal facility in a 3rd class city if 2 or more approved facilities that are solid waste disposal facilities are in operation within the city in which the solid waste disposal facility is proposed to be located.
(b) The prohibition in par. (a) does not apply to an expansion of or addition to an existing approved facility that is a solid waste disposal facility by the owner or operator of the existing approved facility on property that is contiguous to the property on which the existing approved facility is located and that is owned or under option to lease or purchase by the owner or operator of the existing approved facility.
(3) Contents of final determination of feasibility. The department shall issue a final determination of feasibility which shall state the findings of fact and conclusions of law upon which it is based. The department may condition the issuance of the final determination of feasibility upon special design, operational or other requirements to be submitted with the plan of operation under s. 289.30. The final determination of feasibility shall specify the design capacity of the proposed facility. The issuance of a favorable final determination of feasibility constitutes approval of the facility for the purpose stated in the application but does not guarantee plan approval under s. 289.30 or licensure under s. 289.31.
(4) Issuance of final determination of feasibility. Except as provided under sub. (5), if no hearing is conducted under s. 289.26 or 289.27, the department shall issue the final determination of feasibility within 60 days after the 30-day or 45-day period under s. 289.27 (1) has expired.
(5) Issuance of final determination of feasibility in certain situations involving utilities and mining. If a determination of feasibility is identified in the listing specified in s. 196.491 (3) (a) 3. a., the issuance of a final determination of feasibility is subject to the time limit under s. 196.491 (3) (a) 3. b. If a determination of feasibility is required under s. 293.43, the issuance of a final determination of feasibility is subject to the time limits under s. 293.45 (2) or 293.49, whichever is applicable.
289.29 - ANNOT.
History: 1995 a. 227 ss. 555, 558, 559, 561, 991; 1997 a. 204.