74.41 Charging back refunded or rescinded taxes; sharing certain collected taxes.
(1) Submission of refunded or rescinded taxes to department. By October 1 of each year, the clerk of a taxation district may submit to the department of revenue, on a form prescribed by the department of revenue, a listing of all general property taxes on the district's tax roll which, subject to sub. (2), meet any of the following conditions:
(a) Have been refunded to taxpayers under s. 70.511.
(b) Have been rescinded or refunded to taxpayers under s. 74.33.
(bm) Have been refunded or collected under s. 70.43.
(bn) Have been rescinded or refunded to taxpayers under s. 70.74 or 75.25 (2).
(c) Have been refunded to taxpayers under s. 74.35 or 74.37.
(d) Have been corrected under s. 70.73 (1m).
(2) Amount required for submission. A tax may be included on a form submitted under sub. (1) only if one of the following applies:
(a) The tax and all other taxes under sub. (1) which are levied for the same year and which are listed on the same form total at least $5,000.
(b) The tax under sub. (1) for any single description of property in the tax roll for any one year is $500 or more.
(3) Effect on equalized value determined. The department of revenue shall, by the November 15 following submission of the form under sub. (1), determine the amount of the change, if any, in the equalized valuation of the taxation district resulting from a consideration of the valuation represented by the taxes under sub. (1). The determination of the department of revenue under this subsection is reviewable only under s. 227.53.
(4) Amount determined. If the department of revenue determines under sub. (3) that the equalized value of the taxation district is changed as a result of consideration of the valuation represented by the taxes under sub. (1), the department of revenue shall do one of the following:
(a) Adjust the equalized value of the taxation district under s. 70.57.
(b) Determine the amount of rescinded or refunded taxes to be charged back to, and collected from, each taxing jurisdiction for which taxes were collected by the taxation district, and determine the amount of taxes collected under s. 74.33 to be shared with each taxing jurisdiction for which taxes were collected by the taxation district. Except for interest on refunds under s. 70.511 (2) (b) that is paid with respect to property that was assessed under s. 70.995 and that is not paid by the department of administration under s. 70.511 (2) (bm), the amount determined may not include any interest.
(5) Notice and payment.
(a) The department of revenue shall certify to the clerk of the taxation district the amount determined under sub. (4) (a) or (b) and shall furnish a copy of the certification to each affected taxing jurisdiction.
(b) Each taxing jurisdiction to which an amount is charged back under sub. (4) (b) shall pay the amount certified under par. (a) to the taxation district treasurer by February 15 of the year following the determination under sub. (3). By February 15 of the year following the determination under sub. (3), the taxation district treasurer shall pay the amounts to be shared with other taxing jurisdictions.
(6) No effect on mill rate limits. A tax levied by a taxation jurisdiction to fund an amount which the taxing jurisdiction is required to pay under sub. (5) shall not be considered in determining whether the taxing jurisdiction is in compliance with any statutorily imposed mill rate limit.
74.41 - ANNOT.
History: 1987 a. 378; 1991 a. 39; 1995 a. 408; 2001 a. 16; 2005 a. 405.