State Codes and Statutes

State Codes and Statutes

Statutes > North-carolina > Chapter_122C > GS_122C-421

Part 2.Black Mountain Joint Security Force.

§ 122C‑421.   Jointsecurity force.

(a)        The Secretary maydesignate one or more special police officers who shall make up a jointsecurity force to enforce the law of North Carolina and any ordinance orregulation adopted pursuant to G.S. 143‑116.6 or G.S. 143‑116.7 orpursuant to the authority granted the Department by any other law on theterritory of the Black Mountain Center, the Alcohol Rehabilitation Center, andthe Juvenile Evaluation Center, all in Buncombe County. After taking the oathof office for law enforcement officers as set out in G.S. 11‑11, thesespecial police officers have the same powers as peace officers now vested insheriffs within the territory embraced by the named centers. These special policeofficers shall also have the power prescribed by G.S. 7B‑1900 outside theterritory embraced by the named centers but within the confines of BuncombeCounty. These special police officers may arrest persons outside the territoryof the named centers but within the confines of Buncombe County when the personarrested has committed a criminal offense within that territory, for which theofficers could have arrested the person within that territory, and the arrestis made during the person's immediate and continuous flight from thatterritory.

(b)        These specialpolice officers may exercise any and all of the powers enumerated in this Partupon or in pursuit from the property formerly occupied by the Black MountainCenter and transferred to the Department of Correction by Senate Bill 388 andHouse Bill 709 of the 1985 Session of the General Assembly. These specialpolice officers shall exercise said powers upon the property transferred to theDepartment of Correction only by agreement of the Departments of Correction andHealth and Human Services. (1983 (Reg. Sess., 1984), c. 1116, s. 30; 1985, c.408, ss. 3, 5; c. 589, s. 2; 1995, c. 391, s. 3; 1997‑320, s. 2; 1997‑443,s. 11A.118(a); 1998‑202, s. 13(gg).)