State Codes and Statutes

State Codes and Statutes

Statutes > North-carolina > Chapter_143B > GS_143B-216_41

§ 143B‑216.41.  Pupils admitted; education.

(a)        The Department of Health and Human Services may consider foradmission all deaf and deaf/multidisabled children into the schools for thedeaf who meet the following criteria and in accordance with federal and Statelaw and rules adopted by the Office of Education Services:

(1)        The child has been referred by the child's local educationagency and an admission is deemed appropriate by the child's IndividualizedEducation Program (IEP) Team.

(2)        The child is a resident of this State, except as provided insubsection (b) of this section.

(3)        The child is at least five years of age but not older than21 years of age.

(b)        Nonresident deaf or deaf/multidisabled children may beadmitted to the schools for the deaf in accordance with rules adopted by theOffice of Education Services if the admission does not prevent the attendanceof any deaf or deaf/multidisabled child who is a resident of the State. Onlychildren who are residents of North Carolina are entitled to free tuition androom and board.

(c)        The Department, through the Office of Education Services,shall provide unique instructional programs to meet the needs of all studentsadmitted to the schools for the deaf. The Department shall encourage the Stateto provide classrooms with modern auditory training equipment, audiovisualmedia equipment, and any other special equipment to provide the besteducational conditions for the deaf and deaf/multidisabled.

(d)        The Department, through the Office of Education Services,shall do the following:

(1)        Maintain a collaborative relationship with institutions ofhigher education to provide teacher‑training opportunities.

(2)        Provide for a comprehensive vocational and technicaltraining program as directed in the transition component of the IndividualizedEducation Programs of students. (1961, c. 968;1963, c. 448, s. 28; 1969, c. 1279; 1971, c. 1000; 1973, c. 476, s. 165; 1981,c. 423, s. 1; 1983 (Reg. Sess., 1984), c. 1034, s. 23; 1985, c. 780, s. 3; 1997‑18,s. 12; 1997‑443, s. 11A.118(a); 2003‑253, s. 1.)