State Codes and Statutes

State Codes and Statutes

Statutes > North-carolina > Chapter_55D > GS_55D-26

§ 55D‑26.  Real propertyrecords.

(a)        A certificateissued by the Secretary of State as described in subsection (b) of this sectionmust be recorded when:

(1)        The name of anydomestic corporation, nonprofit corporation, limited liability company, limitedpartnership, or registered limited liability partnership or foreigncorporation, foreign nonprofit corporation, foreign limited liability company,foreign limited partnership, or foreign limited liability partnership thatholds title to real property in this State is changed upon amendment to itsarticles of incorporation or organization, its certificate of limitedpartnership, or its registration as a limited liability partnership or foreignlimited liability partnership; or

(2)        Title to realproperty in this State held by any entity listed in subdivision (1) of thissubsection is vested by operation of law in another entity upon merger,consolidation, or conversion of the entity.

The certificate must recitethe name change, merger, consolidation, or conversion and must be recorded inthe office of the register of deeds of the county where the property lies or,if the property is located in more than one county in each county where anyportion of the property lies.

(b)        The Secretary ofState shall issue uniform certificates for recordation in accordance with thissection. In the case of a foreign corporation, foreign nonprofit corporation,foreign limited liability company, foreign limited partnership, or foreignlimited liability partnership, a similar certificate by any competent authorityof the jurisdiction of incorporation may be recorded in accordance with thissection.

(c)        The certificaterequired by this section must be recorded by the register of deeds in the samemanner as deeds, and for the same fees, but no formalities as toacknowledgement, probate, or approval by any other officer shall be required.The former name of the entity holding title to the real property before thename change, merger, consolidation, or conversion shall appear in the "Grantor"index, and the new name of the corporation or the name of the other entityholding title to the real property by virtue of the merger, consolidation, orconversion shall appear in the "Grantee" index. (1989, c. 265, s. 1; 1991, c.645, s. 2(a); 1999‑369, s. 1.4; 2001‑358, ss. 14(b), 15; 2001‑387,ss. 166, 173, 175(a); 2001‑413, s. 6.)