State Codes and Statutes

State Codes and Statutes

Statutes > California > Fam > 400-402

SECTION 400-402

400.  Marriage may be solemnized by any of the following who is of
the age of 18 years or older:
   (a) A priest, minister, rabbi, or authorized person of any
religious denomination.
   (b) A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or
retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired
commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this
   (c) A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.
   (d) Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United
   (1) A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme
   (2) A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district
court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which
are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
   (3) A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
   (4) A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
   (e) A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a
Member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while
that person holds office.

400.1.  In addition to the persons specified in Section 400,
marriage may also be solemnized by a mayor of a city elected in
accordance with Article 3 (commencing with Section 34900) of Chapter
4 of Part 1 of Division 2 of Title 4 of the Government Code, while
that person holds office. The mayor shall obtain and review from the
county clerk all available instructions for marriage solemnization
before the mayor first solemnizes a marriage.

401.  (a) For each county, the county clerk is designated as a
commissioner of civil marriages.
   (b) The commissioner of civil marriages may appoint deputy
commissioners of civil marriages who may solemnize marriages under
the direction of the commissioner of civil marriages and shall
perform other duties directed by the commissioner.

402.  In addition to the persons permitted to solemnize marriages
under Section 400, a county may license officials of a nonprofit
religious institution, whose articles of incorporation are registered
with the Secretary of State, to solemnize the marriages of persons
who are affiliated with or are members of the religious institution.
The licensee shall possess the degree of doctor of philosophy and
must perform religious services or rites for the institution on a
regular basis. The marriages shall be performed without fee to the